Friday, August 1, 2008

Fun Family Night -Rachel's New Cast












Sunday night we had a family planning meeting and everyone was making suggestions on what to do for family home evening. It was suggested that we roast marshmallows in our fire pit, but we decided that it was too hot to have a fire and that a park day would be fun. Scott had to work, so the rest of us packed the wagon and headed over to the park. We were having a lot of fun playing croquet and baseball and I was enjoying taking pictures of everyone (see "before" picture). Later, Rachel asked me if I would race her on her scooter. We were really enjoying our races until Rachel lost control of the scooter and fell. The second she got up she said, "I think I broke my arm!" It quickly swelled up and she was in a lot of pain so we quickly packed our wagon, got everyone else home, gave Rachel some pain medication, and went to Centennial Hills Hospital for x-rays. Dr. Houston (a family friend) was on call and helped us feel right at home. It hurt Rachel to position her hand the right way for the x-rays, but she was a trooper! She eventually went to Dr. Barry to be cast. We told his assistant who cast her and had previously cast her legs, that we can't seem to stay away and that we love to monetarily support Dr. Barry. He thanked us for paying his mortgage. . . Rachel cried while he set the bone and told her some jokes to make her laugh through the pain. Her favorite was the girl joke: "How do you keep a rhino from charging?" Punchline: "You take her charge card away!" We were thrilled she got a waterproof cast which means she can swim and shower, however, we still think it would have been better to have roasted marshmallows!

2 comments:

Those People With The Crazy Kids said...

Holy Cow! You guys have been busy. Had to laugh when the good doc thanked you for paying his mortgage! I think we've been paying our pediatrician's for the last 3 & 1/2 years. I've resigned myself to the fact that medical bills will now be a part of life until we die. Even after the kids are grown and gone we'll still be paying. We'll both be so stinkin' old that we'll be falling apart by then :)

BTW, I enjoyed all the pics (except for the swollen arm one.... ewwww) looks like you guys had a great vacation.

Matt and Grace said...

Wow! Rachel and I have something in common! We frequent hospitals in our spare time. I luckily have stayed away for the past six weeks. I hope Rachel feels better soon!