Sunday, June 29, 2008

Chris's Sunday Afternoon Reviews: John Adams on DVD


I picked up this 7 part mini-series on DVD as a Father's Day gift to myself. Not having HBO, we hadn't seen it, but I assumed we would enjoy it since I loved the David McCullough book that it was based on. Elaine and I have watched the first few episodes, and, to use Scott's new favorite word, its amaaazing. No, it's not as good as the book, and as it focuses on some of the more negative events in Adam's life (I suppose because they are the most dramatic) it creates an image of Adams that's darker than the book. Jefferson also comes off a lot better here than in the book. Overall though its still an amazing series, especially the first two episodes, which detail Adams' defense of the British Soldiers from the Boston Massacre and his leading role in the Continential Congress of 1776, where he led the way in getting the other colonies' representatives to vote for independence.

1 comment:

Don and Kelley said...

Don and I were in VA when they were filming it. We checked out the set.