Thursday, June 19, 2008

Tearful Trek Goodbye?


Scott and Dallin left at 5 a.m. this morning on a three-day trek across the Nevada desert pulling handcarts. We got up at 4 a.m. They changed into their pioneer clothing, (the best of Deseret Industries-Dallin in his Ralph Lauren & Scott in his "swanky" striped cowboy shirt), had breakfast, put their cowboy hats on and hopped into the car. Dad, you would be proud! I don't know why, but when they put on their hats they reminded me of their uncles, Todd and Brent, when they would work at the ranch baling hay during the summers with my dad. They looked so handsome! We got to the church and there was a long line of cars dropping the kids off. I made them throw me a kiss, say goodbye, and off they went to be with their pioneer-clothed adopted family. And that was it. . . until I got half way home and thought about what it was going to be like when they left on missions and then the tears trickled. No cell phones to call them. . .just faith that all will be well.

5 comments:

Brett and Heather said...

You will survive. This one is only a few days. It's just to prepare you for the big goodbye.

Leslie said...

Yeah, Elaine, I think about that day all the time... it is coming a lot faster than I ever thought it would... it is hard to imagine life without your boy for two whole years! But I just have to keep telling myself, I wouldn't want him anywhere else!!! :) WoW! We are getting old!!!

Ashlee and Rico said...

Hey Elaine. I wanted to let you know that Dakota's blessing is on Sunday at 9am. I sent an email to everyone but yours keeps coming back. I just wanted to let you know your invited, no worries if you can't make it.

Chris and Shani said...

How did they do on the trek? I remember doing one of those long ago!

Lolly Sneed said...

Dear Elaine, It is also wonderful to get to keep up on your sweet family. Congrats to Scott on the Eagle and sweet Rachel on her specal day. Well keep blogging.
Love Lolly